Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I am scrooge

The holidays are upon us once again. It’s that one time of the year when people are a friendlier, more giving and more patient than usual... talaga lang ha?

Call me jaded, pero more and more, I associate the holidays with stress and sometimes with disdain. While it is true that people are friendlier and more giving this season, I can't help but notice that some are taking advantage of the season.

My case in point:
1. garbage collectors, postmen, etc hand you envelopes (with merry xmas written on it) expecting you (ney, thinks that it is your obligation) to give them cash gift.

2. "carolers" who "sing"(?) a few lines of Christmas songs and expect you to dole out some cash. Buti sana kung maganda ang rendition, eh sumisigaw lang tapos di pa natatapos yung isang kanta. Namamasko ba kayo o nambubuwsit

3. Taxi drivers who take advantage of commuters laden with bags and bags of Christmas shopping. Parang pag nakita nila ang mga ito, ang nakikita nila ay hindi tao kung di peso sign. Tsk tsk...This is a time for contracting passengers or asking for additional P50-100. Others even have the gall NOT to give change since "its Christmas naman". Hello, pareho lang kaya tayong nagtratrabaho. I need the money just like you do. Money doesn't grow on tress noh.

4. Have you tried going to groceries, supermarkets or the wet market these days? Aside from hordes of people doing their Noche Buena shopping, you would notice that prices of fruits, beef and chicken as well as other "Christmas" food fare soar (like crazy). This trend will most likely continue until new years. Tsk tsk.

5. One of my pet peeves this season is your kumare / friend texting you to "remind" you of her son/daughter (your inaanak) gift from you. Not only that, she tells you what she thinks you have to give her child. Hay naku, minsan, iniisip ko na kinukuha kang ninong o ninang dahil lang sa mga regalong inaasahan nilang ibigay mo sa mga anak nila.

I used to love the holidays during my younger years. I always associate it with spending quality time with family and friends, vacation and food. These days, I feel like going on a sabbatical from the holidays, hiding out in my room and never going out unless I really need to. I am becoming such a scrooge.

No comments:

 

alchemist2 | Distributed by Blogger Templates | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL