Sunday, November 04, 2007

alone and other kwento, part 2

November 3, 721pm Chicago; November 4, 821am Manila

How to take a tour of Chicago for free: Go to the Cultural Center and take all the free tours you can get. :)

Diba I was really planning to go to the cultural center and the art museum today? So before going downtown i already made my schedule and syempre i mapped out the route i was going to take for the day.

Fist stop was to an AT&T or cingular store to inquire about prepaid plans since it is expensive to be on roaming for the remaining 2 months that i am here. I searched on line and found 2 stores not far from the Cultural Center and Millenium Park. So being myself, I took out a map and drew in Red Ink the path that i should take for the day. Alam mo naman chi na ligawin ako at as much as i try, i really can't read a map. hehehe

Anyways, so naka set na ang route ko and since maaga nman ang lakad ko (11am - maaga na yun ha!) i have confidence in myself na mahahanap ko rin ang mga lugar na pupuntahan ko. After lunch at the union station, I made my merry way to my first stop - yung prepaid CP.

I have to give myself a pat on the back for finding the AT&T and Cingular stores (although sad kc Mondays to Fridays lang pala sila open - huhuhu di na yata ako makakabili ng prepaid), and the Cultural Center. Yung Art Museum ok na rin kc medyo alam ko ang Millenium park.

The Cultural Center Building

As usual budget mode ako, so tamang tama lang talaga ang aking first stop which was the Chicago Cultural Center. I arrived at the Center around 1pm just in time for the start of the free tour of the building which was scheduled at 115pm. While waiting for the tour to start, i checked out the visitor's information center and helped myself to another map, and a few brochures of what the city has to offer. It was then that i found out that there is another Free tour of the city (highlighting the architecture of Chicago)scheduled between 230pm and 3pm. Naturally, being me, i signed on for that tour too. hehehe (Since ang mode ko is to save para maka panood ako ng wicked or some other play - hala mahal ang ticket noh!)

Anyways, both of the tours were informative and really gave me an appreciation for the city. I mean, they really have a sense of history, pride and love for the city. Sana noh, ganon din tayo sa atin. I especially love the sculptures they have scattered around downtown. I guess, you will really appreciate Chicago when you take a walking tour kc ang daming little and big surprises - like Picasso and miro's sculpture, yung mga old theaters, and old buildings. Sayang wala ang family ko dito, I am sure that my siblings and my parent will appreciate the sights of Chicago. Insha Allah, we can all visit Chicago soon. :)

Anyways, the "walking tour" ended around 430pm, giving me just enough time to walk back to the union station to catch my train. I have to go back down town tomorrow for the art museum thing - O chi, cultured chenes ako na. bwhahha. Eto ang nakakatawa (i am so sure my siblings are laughing their heads off), Medyo di ko na alam kung pano bumalik sa Union station and to make matters worse, nadaanan ko ang route nung umaga ha! May map na nga ako, nawala pa ako! bwhahaha. I mean alam ko ang streets and how to get there, di ko lang alam kung saan ba ang south or ang north. heheheh And i can't retrace my steps kc di na ako bumalik sa cultural center kc nga hinahabol ko ang oras.

Anywas, i remember some of the landmarks i passed nung papunta ako sa Randolf st at washington st., yun nga lang di ko matandaan how to go back to adam's or jackson st kung san ang union station. Dito kc ang haba ng kanilang streets di gaya sa atin na after one corner ay iba na ang pangalan ng street. Dito streets can strech for miles at ang difference lang ay yun S or N or E or W na prefix sa mga street signs.

Tonk talaga ako... buti na lang di ako nag panic (hala dumidilim na noh - maaga dumilim ngayon dito) at pumasok n lang ako sa isang parmacy to ask for directions. :) It turned out that i was actually going the right way, yun nga lang sa kabilang street lang. hehehe. Anyways, I actually made it to the train station with a few minutes to spare (before boarding). Hay, ganito ba uli ako bukas? hehehe. Kaya, i really need someone with me - someone who knows how to read maps and NOT GET LOST! Chi, are you reading this? Brings back memories doesn't it?

--------------------
It is getting a lot chilly starting this weekend. Buti na lang medyo tolerable pa naman kanina. Sana ok din bukas. I just need to wear my thick coat, my thermal garments, long sleeved shirt, a scarf and a pair of gloves. Not much no? hehehe. Naku, kung nilalamig na ako today, what more kaya on Tuesday or Wednesday when it is said to be sobrang malamig na baka daw mag snow. huhuhu. I am sure my dad, atchie and my cousin will enjoy this weather.

-------------------
Sana I have enough dough to be able to watch at least 1 play. I will try to get a ticket to wicked or another play before the end of november. Yun nga lang, i do need to get a ticket for the afternoon show since i dont have a place to stay in the city. Eto yung time na sana meron akong kasama dito kc at least we can share a cab going home. :) Sana, sana i can watch a play. Insha Allah, 1 or 2 plays before i go home.

No comments:

 

alchemist2 | Distributed by Blogger Templates | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL