Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Islamic subjects in public schools

While browsing the papers this morning, i came across this article: "Islamic subjects to be taught in some public schools - Deped" (Philippine daily inquirer, page A5, Feb 15, 2005).

Public elementary schools with sizeable numbers of Muslim students would be required to teach Islamic subjects starting next school year.

Starting June, Arabic and Islamic values will be taught along with regular subjects of Math, Science, English, Filipino and Makabayan. Taking up Arabic and Islamic Values will be optional for non-Muslims.


This is welcome news... I do hope that with the introduction of Islamic subjects in some public schools, will forster more understanding between the Muslims and Christians. I believe that understanding of each other's religion will pave the way for a better relationship.

------------
I remember during my elementary and high school days in Zamboanga (I was enrolled in a state run school), Islamic values subject taught to us once a week during our values education subject. I remember Muslim students were excused from regular class (christian values were also taught the same day)to attend the to the Islamic values class. I do wish more schools will be able to offer Islamic subject

No comments:

 

alchemist2 | Distributed by Blogger Templates | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL