Tuesday, November 09, 2004

another one bites the dust

This weekend I received news that a friend decided to bid single-hood goodbye and say hello to wedded bliss. Yup, just when I thought I could not get enough of weddings, I learned that a friend is getting married soon – and I mean real soon!

What’s with 2004 and the number 29 that makes people in my age group (anyone with student number ’92 and above?) go crazy and take the plunge? Is it the inevitable wrinkles that we know will be upon us soon? Is it realizing that we are past our prime, that our metabolism is getting slower and we just can’t eat the same food as before without getting a bit plump? YES, we are getting older, but does it also mean that we should necessarily settle down?

Another reality check that indeed I am getting older (albeit not necessarily wiser) is the fact that two of my friends recently gave birth to super cute baby boys. While I admire their commitment and strength (hey, it’s not easy bringing a child into this world – especially in this economic times), I can not see myself having one soon.

Babies and marriage is a BIG responsibility. You think beyond yourself, you are responsible not only for yourself but for the well-being of those around you. As of now, all I can think of is me, myself and I – my earnings are just enough for me to live by, I can’t for the life of me, imagine how I can manage having a family with a measly income. But, maybe, when I do get to have a family, my priorities will change. As of now, my priorities are having enough moohlah to pay my monthly celphone, credit card and house dues.

I admire my friends for starting a family. I know that age is a factor (hey our biological clock is ticking!) but maturity, love, commitment and respect are factors too. Congrats and best wishes guys! All the best.

Hmmm, as of last count, there has been 5 weddings, and 2 new babies. What will next year’s statistics be? Who will succumb to the BIG COMMITMENT?

No comments:

 

alchemist2 | Distributed by Blogger Templates | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL