Wednesday, November 03, 2004

true love

When will the waiting for the ONE be done?

Since we were little, our consciousness was filled with the notion of the princess meeting her prince charming, of knights rescuing the damsel in distress and of course of “living happily ever after”. These fairy tales are further reinforced as we get older by books, romance novels, TV shows and movies – hey, even action pictures had to spin the love angle too, the hero ALWAYS gets the girl in the end. We are continuously bombarded by this never-ending paradigm that we MUST find the love of our lives, get married and eventually settle down. But what if this NEVER happens? Will it make single life more difficult than married life? In a single’s pursuit to happiness, should it always include love and marriage?

Just this Friday, I received an invitation to a friend’s wedding, in fact this is the third or fourth wedding invitation that I got this year… hey, what’s happening? Why is everyone in a rush to get married? Is it age? Body clock? Or really finding one’s true love?

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I’m not bitter or anything like that, I just amazed at the number of my single friends that are getting married this year – a record number! I am extending my best wishes to them for finding their true love, for knowing deep in their hearts that they have found the right mate and would be with that one person for the rest of their lives. After saying “I do”, their lives will be forever changed. There will be no more spontaneous nights out with girl friends nor a impulse vacation or purchase, they will always have to confer with their “other-half” on making those decisions. They will cease to think in the pronoun “I” and start thinking as “we”, for they are not just responsible for themselves but also for the feelings and life of their mate. Boy, this truly is a BIG and LIFE ALTERING decision.

I would like to extend my best wishes to my friends who are brave enough to tie the knot and bid single life goodbye. I would like to say to them, “congrats!” on “finding the ONE” and may you live happily ever after!

For us single, I post this question: “when will our waiting be done?” Hmmm, better yet, while waiting for the one, let’s seize the day and live it to the fullest! It’s our life, our choice.

No comments:

 

alchemist2 | Distributed by Blogger Templates | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL